Xmastime Pt.1

December 1, 2009

A new story that’ll last ’til the end of the year, so it’s shorter than the other ones I’ve done recently- 13/14 parts.

Time to play “guess the accent!” or, more accurately, “Guess what my mangling of written language is supposed to signify!”

Posted at 7:24 pm. Follow responses to this comic with the comments feed. You can leave a comment or trackback from your own site.

38 Comments

1. RomanXVII says:

Alabama?

2. James says:

Being from Berkshire County originally, it sounds either like Boston or New York Jew. But then again, my NY Jewish friends might punch me for calling it that, so I’ll just say that I’m torn between Boston and NYC, leaning slightly more towards Boston.

3. Mike says:

Can I just guess whatever anybody else is guessing? I suck at recognizing accents beyond the most stereotypical portrayals.

I look forward to seeing how this new story arc plays out, though.

4. Andrew says:

Boston accent, I would guess.

5. LaughingTarget says:

Since reasonable guesses have already been given, I’ll go with Jamaican.

6. Matt R says:

I would say that whatever it is, it doesn’t make sense – it’s not a Jewish accent, cause you know, Christmas, and it’s not Italian, cause, you know, Beckett, and people from Boston say Jahb, not Jawb. And no one but Jews and Italians actually have New York accents.

I wish I could alt-text my comment, because if I could, it would say that it’s theses, not thesises.

So nyah.

7. Lauren Shapiro says:

I’m gonna go with Jewish, just cuz she seems like she would be; all the complainin’ and whatnot. LOL

8. M says:

Brooklyn Jewish.

9. Dee says:

Fran Drescher read that to me in my head. I’m gonna go with a Queens accent.

10. Renaldo J says:

I don’t think he’s Jewish, because his mom isn’t complaining that he never calls.

And her nose isn’t that big.

Ok, ok, I’m sorry to all my Jewish homies out there, I apologize.

11. DMB says:

since my guess and all other logical choices have been chosen im going to have to say Irish.

12. Jackie-o says:

i’m going to have to agree with Dee on the Queens accent because i have a professor from Queens and she pronounces words differently then most of us are used to in the midwest…..and it kinda seems similar to Herman’s moms accent

13. Adam says:

Well alex i would think new york at first because that is the go to accent in the past couple weeks for us, but im gonna have to go with boston just look at year being spelt yeaas, simmilar to gonna orda me some beaas. the only way you could make it more obvious is the work wicked was in there.

14. y3k says:

Swahili

15. Glitter_Trauma says:

Well if its American Stereotype I’m gonna suck at guessing being English an all, I don’t majorly know the difference between those accents.

I’d go for more of a Southern American accent. seeing as though how its spelled. I imagine Rogue from XMEN style

16. funkyprtyweasel says:

Foghorn Leghorn is stuck in my head from the way its spelled. I imagine Kentucky

17. Kay :) says:

I’m gonna go with Australian. Adam mentioned Boston and beeas. That made me laugh n think of Australian accent in the Simpsons

Coffee…..Beeer…Coffee…..Beeeer

18. Nurian says:

Generic Southern USA?

19. alasdairisawesome says:

Alex having been surrounded by many of these folks down here at school and having once lived there, I propose that the accent can be none other than Long Island, NY. Easily, the most obnoxious thing to ever grate my ears. They don’t seem to get that you can’t just add w’s to words it doesn’t work like that.
    Sincerely,
    Your Jewish Friend

P.S. They do kinda sound Jewish which really doesn’t surprise me. Jews love Christmas

20. Bah says:

We’ll go with Italian then, since my guess that they’re Canadian is invalidated by the fact she said Jawb and not JORB.

21. Flapjack says:

Sounds like Queen to me.

22. DominicanKing614 says:

Northeast coast … bostonian, queens, jewish mom, any of those would do it or be close … when i read it and look at her all i can imagine hearing is the sister of Whitey in the movie 8 Crazy Nights with Adam Sandler lol can u hear it too now guys now that i said it lol

23. Baughbe says:

Romainian

24. Alexander says:

I imagine her talking like the old lady from Sex Drive when Ian and co. get sent to jail. The one sitting on the toilet talking to Felisha.

(insert “no one has ANY idea what you’re talking about” here)

25. Froggy says:

Snooty Anglo-British accent?

Really, you pronounce it carefully, it fits. Is Herman’s mother a former socialite?!

26. Ramon says:

The accent seems Boston to me. But woot nother story arc!!!!!!!!!!

27. Toast says:

New Zealand accent?

28. It’s either northeastern, or southeastern. I’m thinking if it was south, then words like “time” would be “tawm”. Herman does not strike me as a particularly jewish name, so I’m going to vote New England (Boston, Maine, etc)

29. MaddogExplosive says:

The whole family is clearly Japanese.

30. Amber Thompson says:

Anywhere in New England.

31. Dani says:

New Yorker? :)

Professor dad ftw!

32. LN says:

Well, it would be Boston…except Boston stole the accent from Bar Harbor, ME.

Except then it would have been “foahty yeeas”.

33. Spenser says:

The dad strikes me as being old-jewish, really throaty and raspy, and he prolly shortens his vowels. “yeh, I dun even know whut clesses I teeche!” Like the grampa from Rugrats that no one really liked (all the episodes they were in were boring)

34. Stonefoot says:

Herman’s Mom and Dad don’t have accents at all. But most of the rest of us sure talk funny! (If you don’t believe me, just ask his mom. I’m sure she’ll agree with me.)

And I think I took a class from his dad. At least, with the guy who did teach it, it wouldn’t have made any difference.

35. Damoinion says:

@Toast, funny man, I’m from New Zealand and I was going to say “generic brain-dead yank tourist” but that would be unfair as some of them are actually bright enough to learn to drive on the left.
    Seriously ‘though, from what I remember of my last trip up that way, I’ll go with Boston.

36. chardonny says:

When I read those words, I keep picturing JFK speaking. So…yeah.

37. 1-upCake says:

i hear marge simpson’s voice when i read her lines

38. MikeDB says:

I’d guess New England somewhere. It sure as heck ain’t southern.